Welcome to Balby Carr Sixth Form
Balby Carr Community Academy, a member of the outstanding Wakefield City Academies Trust (WCAT), is a popular and successful academy which is committed to meeting the needs and developing the skills of all students and staff. As part of WCAT we have access to all the resources that have seen 3 successive Outstanding Judgements from Ofsted for Wakefield City Academy.
The Trust’s aim is to create significant capacity to deliver powerful school to school support and professional development in the areas key to raising standards and achievement.
The Sixth Form is a vibrant community that prides itself on a positive approach to academic and personal development.
“Why have so many students decided that Balby Carr Sixth Form is the place for them?”
This Prospectus reflects our current successes, future ambitions and highlights what our students
are saying about the Sixth Form and Academy of Sport.
Balby Carr offers you a wide variety of courses so you can choose the combination of subjects that is right for you. We provide an extensive enrichment and visits programme of activities and events designed to prepare you for the challenges of your course, student life and ultimately the world of work.
Our aim is to ensure we achieve excellence by putting students first enabling every student to achieve success and be happy in terms of achievement and their physical and emotional development. We aim to provide our young adults with new experiences to support them to become confident, happy and successful participants in the societies they will enter after Balby Carr.
We encourage our students to show initiative and enterprise and to play an active role in the life of the Academy and the community. We are a family and have high expectations of our students and the adults that will work with you.
Our teachers and tutors are highly qualified, committed, enthusiastic and trained to provide you with the best support possible. We have a proven track record of success and students who have high expectations of themselves, a positive outlook and a strong work ethic look to Balby Carr as the destination of their choice.
We are proud of the continued success of all of our Sixth Form students and we look forward to you adding to those successes when you join our Sixth Form and Academy of Sport in 2017.
Why Balby Carr Sixth Form?
There are several options for you to consider at the end of your GCSE studies. As in all good decision-making, you will research all the realistic options open to you before deciding where to go and what to do.
Here are some advantages we feel may encourage you to join Balby Carr Sixth Form:
• 49% of the students achieved at least 1 A grade with 38% achieving at least 3 A or A* or equivalent
• There are areas of the sixth form where achievement is outstanding, such as sociology.
This is due to outstanding teaching over time for these students, who make very rapid progress in their learning and who demonstrate excellent attitudes to learning (Ofsted)
• Wide range of A Level and BTEC subjects
• The care and support provided by the Sixth Form team of Tutors and Subject Teachers.
• A programme of activities and events designed to prepare you for the challenges of your
course, student life and ultimately the world of work
• Continuity and stability in a familiar school environment with staff and students that you know
may help in your progression from GCSE to Advanced Level
• Opportunities to develop personal skills, work on interesting projects, working with younger
students and mentoring them to support them in their learning
• Opportunities to develop your leadership skills now that you are a senior member of
• Good staffing arrangements in school to ensure that teaching groups provide closer contact
and more opportunity to provide individual help and support
• A comprehensive bank of information and guidance with regard to post 18 options